Friday, March 6, 2015

Ginny Doll Restoration: one down, two to go...

Ginny "Tropical Adventure"
This morning I finally got back to my Ginny doll restoration project.  I haven't quite decided how to deal with the outfit damage on Sari, so I started with the easiest one first - "Tropical Adventure", who only needed restringing.

One interesting note for anyone planning to restring other Ginny dolls is that there are two different styles of doll design in this size.  Apparently the more common version have all four limbs and heads strung, whereas with the dolls from this series it's only the head and arms.  This is worth noting since most of the tutorials online (and the packages of replacement elastic bands) are designed for the full body stringing.


As doll projects go, this one is very straightforward, and requires minimal supplies: aside from the elastic, a couple of clamps and a crochet hook are helpful, but it would probably be possible to do without them and just use yarn to pull the elastic through and pens to hold the elastic in place while attaching the head and arms.


The tools
.
The head is ready for stringing
Opening the O-rings on an arm
Stringing the arm (with apologies for the lighting).
Back in one piece.
Restrung and redressed.

 

15 comments:

  1. Arms! Very good -- she's doubtless much happier with her limbs attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's looking good! I particularly like the photo of her head on it's own, waiting to be connected back with her body.....she looks kind of sleepy and a little bored from hanging around! ;)
    Hugs Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I imagine she must have been very tired of waiting for me to get around to putting her back together! ;)

      Delete
  3. LOL, that last photo, she's all, "Yessss, Darling, Yesssss."

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks great. I love her little face. She has quite the beautiful ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) The outfit certainly makes her stand out, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Great restoration, this cute dolly is worth it! Such a lovely doll, and I love what she's wearing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm definitely pleased that I decided to buy the box of unstrung dolls. :)

      Delete
  6. Nice job! I'm sure she's happy to be re-attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, I think she's looking a little more positive now that she's all in one piece. ;)

      Delete
  7. She's a cutie. Nice little tutorial. I used to string porcelain dolls all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never tried doing anything with a porcelain doll before - that would be interesting.

      Delete
  8. I have such a Ginny, in light skin. I restrung the arms this morning, just to find that the head needs restringing, too. Do you have pictures of how to do that?

    ReplyDelete